Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Prediction: AJ Green Will be Back
Unless I'm misreading the tea leaves and AJ is willing to take a multi-year deal reflective of his age and recent injury history, there's no way that a multi-year deal is a good idea at this point. In fact, it's inexcusably stupid. They have no evidence at all since a little before Halloween 2018 that Green can play through a full NFL game, much less a season, much less several seasons.

A season and a half of not playing knock down a player's value. I'm not sure if AJ is willing to acknowledge that in the negotiations. He seems to want to be payed based on his active career, but that's a good distance into the past.

If he were willing to accept maybe 12 mil per for 3 years, then that'd be fine. I doubt there's a chance that he would.

Hobspin loves to point out the Kwon Alexander deal and his injuries as a reason to excuse inactivity in free agency. Why would Green's predicament be any different? I'd argue that signing AJ would be less favorable due to age and the fact that he hasn't proven himself able to play in a long time. If you're afraid to pay big money to outside guys because they might get hurt, then you should be petrified to commit to pay AJ.

The best way forward for the team is the franchise tag. It's not ideal from a player morale perspective. It would suck to see one of the best and classiest players in Bengal history finish his time here disgruntled. However, it would suck a lot worse to guarantee a player 17 mil plus for 3 years if he's not on the field or able to play to his historical level. Give it to him for one year, if he plays half a season and looks good to go, then negotiate if you want to.

People will judge this front office harshly no matter what. I know I will. I hate their guts. They know this and do not give one shit. That said, I think that even an ownership group as arrogant and out of touch as this one has to have an understanding of how moronic they'd look giving away that kind of coin to a player that couldn't produce and gave them hints that non-production was at least a somewhat likely outcome for 2 years.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prediction: AJ Green Will be Back - samhain - 01-01-2020, 04:32 PM