Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Best Offensive Lines Were Built
(01-08-2020, 05:37 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: All 13 teams have a first round tackle, 10 a first round LT.
10 teams have a UDFA.

This means that the Bengals are more or less half way to having a top 10 line as our line next year is Jonah (1st round LT) and Tre Hopkins (UDFA) and some others.

There are 13 FAs , that's one a team. The Bengals have a FA lineman as well (John Miller).

Start engraving the SuperbOwl now!

I know of no position in football where draft position guarantees success.  Your list proves that.  Draft position and success can be statistically analyzed for correlation and I'm sure analytics are used for that.  For sure draft position tends to indicate likelihood of failure, ie the lower the draft pick the higher the odds of washing out of the NFL but there is no guarantee of failure.  Money is probably a primary cause since the lower the pick the lower the money and the more expendable a player remains.  High picks have a big investment so they stick a little longer and have more time to develop.
Heck not even the combine yields stats to find the next good OLinemen and they are measuring players agility, speed, strength, etc. 
Just too many variables with coaching, a players intangibles such as emotional balance, brains, commitment, resilience plus the athletic stuff measured by the combine. 
Andrew Whitworth should have been a top 5 pick yet all 32 NFL teams failed to rate him as a first rounder.  Teams had 54 shots at Andrew before the Bengals got him.  He replaced Levi Jones, a first round pick at 10.  Who had a better career?  I'd say Whit.

So in the next draft, I wouldn't mind the Bengals spend 2 of their first 3 picks on the Oline.  They did it once before, a total failure, but it's a crap shoot so this draft might get them a Pro Bowl player, who knows?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How the Best Offensive Lines Were Built - bengals1969 - 01-08-2020, 06:09 PM