Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why has the Super Bowl hype come and gone?
(05-29-2015, 12:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I put "experts" in quotations because the entire concept behind a sports "expert" is laughable. I don't think anyone is an expert when it comes to sports analysis. Sports are based off of parity and intangibles. Sure, people can make educated guesses based off of some sort of analytical data, but can't we all do that? What makes a former NFL football player sitting on ESPN's stage that has watched the EXACT same games that I have and has analyzed the EXACT same data that I have opinion better than mine? It comes down to an educated guess. I don't call anyone that makes educated guesses an "expert" by any means. 

I guess I should have used the term "analyst" in my original post. We would have avoided this entire conversation.  Tongue

Meh, I think it's too easy to just dismiss an entire profession with a wave of your hand like that, but to each his own.  I'm not picking on you specifically, but I've heard the whole "anyone can do ____!" statement used to discredit most of the major sociological and psychologically-based professions.  Hell, even meteorologists get put down by people who think looking out the window is best way to predict weather patterns.

SO, can anyone guess about football?  Yes.  But are you sure the "experts" are really a bunch of people that know exactly as much about football as you do and then make guesses?  Don't forget the former athletes and attractive 20-something women in the industry may also just be mouthpieces for the number-crunchers behind the scenes.  I used to work in advertising and it's all about presenting this gigantic pile of statistical data and research performed by PhD's in a manner that makes people think it is a total breeze.

I'm just saying there are lots of professions that are much deeper than the public sees, because who wants to tune into Sports Center and watch some egghead perform a 2-way t-test upon the statical data involving NFL teams winning on the road on a short week in the rain?  They just wrap it up in a nice little digestable package and have some charasmatic former athelte or a woman you'd totally want to lay tell it to you, ha.  I'm cynical.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why has the Super Bowl hype come and gone? - Nately120 - 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM