Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Bengals have no plans on trading the #1 pick
(01-19-2020, 07:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I saw a stat the other day that showed that over the last 16 years, 14 teams who had 5 or less wins and finished last in their division, ended up winning their division and going to the playoffs the following year. That doesn't even include teams like the Rams or 49ers, who had 5 or less wins but weren't last in their division, or teams like the Bengals, who went to the playoffs after winning only 4 games in 2010, but didn't win the division. 

There are numerous examples of teams that have turned things around dramatically in just one season. This is why I'm both really excited and also very wary going into this offseason. If they draft Burrow and add some quality pieces with free agency and the draft, then 2020 could be a pretty damn interesting year. If they half-ass the offseason and waste the opportunity they have in front of them (new QB, picking 1st in every round, lots of cap, etc) then it's going to be very disappointing and frustrating.

I would say that part of the reason has to be the scheduling by placement rules of the NFL.  The set things up to allow for parity, for one year's losers to be next year's exciting team.  And you're right, this could be a very exciting time to be a Bengal fan.  But, like you said, the Management has to do their part.  They need to use that cap space to improve the roster in fundamental positions that recent drafts have come up short in, for the team to have a fair chance at success.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals have no plans on trading the #1 pick - SunsetBengal - 01-19-2020, 08:01 PM