Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hire Steve Jackson as new CB's coach
(01-20-2020, 04:50 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: What I like about both the LB and CB hires is that they're both experienced guys which were desperately needed. Whether they'll be good or not we can't answer that now. Talent needs to be added to both positions. At the same time, the last CBs coach didn't do much of anything. A change was needed and I'm glad it was made.

Steve Jackson had 13 interceptions throughout his playing career. Not the most impressive amount throughout a 9-year career but he knows something about going to get the ball. He helped coached great safeties in New York and the Titans have always been solid at that position for as long as I can remember.

It says he coached DBs in Washington from 04-11, which means... he also coached the great Sean Taylor until his untimely passing.

A guy that coached Jamal Adams and Sean Taylor (albeit, elite prospects and would be great anywhere) getting to pass some of that knowledge onto WJ3, Darius Phillips, and even crossing paths with Jessie Bates in a DBs meeting.

Resume wise, I'd say his is one of the better ones on the staff.

For a guy that's been coaching for 20 years, he should have a lot more than 2 great players he's coached, and Idk if I'd give him credit for Sean Taylor, who was amazing coming out of college. When it comes to resume, I look more at team success, both in rankings as well as playoff appearances, etc.

This guy was never part of a great team/staff, and the ranking are worse than mediocre. I need to see more than a couple good players he coached in a 20 year span. Respect your opinion, but I'm not impressed at all.

I do agree we needed change though. Probably more change than just DB coach.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals hire Steve Jackson as new CB's coach - Shake n Blake - 01-20-2020, 05:14 PM