Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds like business as usual in free agency
(01-24-2020, 05:03 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: A lot of it isn't even how much they spend, it's who and how they spend it that's the real problem.

Here's the rub for 2020. The Bengals are sitting on roughly $50m in cap space. Subtract the draft pool which I'm guessing will come in around $9m and then the $5m they save for injuries. We're down to $36m. Franchise tag AJ for $18m. Leaves the team down to $18m. We probably want to re-sign Dennard and Billings. The team probably wants to re-sign Eifert. Other potential players that could be re-upped; Vigil, Jerry, Redmond, maybe Fej. That's all before trying to work an extension with Mixon and does not include trading Dalton or any other player. Other potential extensions would be WJIII and Lawson.

There's a lot of assumptions in there, so I could be way off. Our cap number could be higher and moving Dalton/Glenn/DreK?or whoever else could add a lot of additional money. However, if I can make their cap disappear that quickly I can guarantee The Family can make it go even quicker. As much as we need to be active and try to bring in some help and upgrades, the team has probably already mapped out how they can re-sign their own and leave little if any money for outside free agents.
Moving on from Dalton and Glenn are no brainers. Cutting Dalton would save $17.5 million and Glenn $9.5 million. Don't see them signing Jerry at 35 years old. Fej is a special teamer and Redmond a bottom of the roster guard who shouldn't cost much if brought back. I wound't overpay for Vigil we can't get any worse without him. Dennard is ok but i still wouldn't  overpay. Eifert isn't a must he's 30 and this is the first full season he's played 16 plus we just resigned Uzomah and drafted Sample in round 2. I like Billings he is young with upside which is good for a rebuilding team, hopefully resigning as 4-3 nose tackle won't break the bank. We'll probably have to wait on WJII to see how he plays in 2020. Mixon is great but putting huge money into a running back and ageing WR in Green is risky and doesn't make us a contender. I just don't want the Bengals to sign a high volume of cheap/ below average role guys like Fej, Redmond , Wilson, Tupo ect. and they cry poor saying we signed our own. I rather sign two impact free agents at linebacker and offensive line then 6 bottom of the roster guys.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sounds like business as usual in free agency - lone bengal - 01-24-2020, 05:57 PM