Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The outfield questions
I'd say the infield, Suarez 3B Galvis SS Moustakas 2B Votto 1B Barnhart/Casali C is pretty well set.

Where the questions really come in is about the outfield ? Right now they have the starters listed as:

Winker LF Senzel CF Castellanos RF then of course Akiyama backup CF/LF and Aquino backup RF. Then there's Ervin, Vanmeter, Schebler. They also have Jankowski and Payton on 40 man. That's 10 guys listed in the outfield and Lorenzen of course as a flyer.

So here comes the questions ?

Senzel: Where does the guy play ? He's been cast as the savior of the franchise for like 2 and 1/2 years. Are they really gonna trade him after just one short season with injury issues ? My guess would be Akiyama gets a bunch of time in CF.

I've lost all faith in Schebler and most of it in Winker in being viable everyday starters in LF same mostly for Ervin. Move Senzel to LF ?

Aquino: aka the Punisher A lot of us, me included, got very pumped about the guy at the end of last season. And for good reason, the guy not only has power at the plate but he seemed a very good athlete with good defending skills/speed and a pretty good arm. Are they sending him back down ? They gonna platoon him with Castellanos ? I still have high hopes for Aquino developing into a very good one.

Winker/Ervin/Schebler:

Schebler, as stated above, to me is on his last try. Since the 2017 season he's been going downhill. He'll be 30 this fall and while that's not quite an old man, it's not like he's an up and comer either. I doubt there's any trade value there at all ?

Ervin, I doubt he's ever going to be anything more than bench player but he's viable as one and I wouldn't mind keeping him as a backup. Again I'm not sure there's a lot of trade value there ?

Winker, oh Jesse Winker. I had high hopes for him after his .299 batting average 7 HR 43 RBI .836 OPS 2018 season. But he hit a wall fairly early last season and it's come more and more to light that he can't hit LH pitching at all. There's no problem keeping him as a bench player and he's only 26 I believe ? But every game that goes by it's becoming more obvious he's not an everyday starter. Will he turn it around this season ? Is there any trade value there ?

We still need bullpen help and we're not gonna have room for all these guys. It's gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out before opening day. It's not a bad thing having options ? Just hoping they push the right buttons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The outfield questions - bengalfan74 - 01-29-2020, 10:41 AM
RE: The outfield questions - Yojimbo - 01-29-2020, 11:06 AM
RE: The outfield questions - bengalfan74 - 01-29-2020, 10:14 PM
RE: The outfield questions - fredtoast - 01-29-2020, 04:41 PM
RE: The outfield questions - grampahol - 01-29-2020, 05:10 PM
RE: The outfield questions - bengalfan74 - 01-29-2020, 10:22 PM
RE: The outfield questions - Yojimbo - 01-29-2020, 11:47 PM
RE: The outfield questions - grampahol - 01-30-2020, 12:39 PM