Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome aboard Troy Walters new WR coach
(02-10-2020, 01:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I won't pretend to know everything that makes a good or bad hire. But can someone explain to me why they consider it to be a good hire? Because just looking at from a leyman's perspective it seems to be, at best, a let's wait and see situation.

-Scott Frost's start in Nebraska has been rough to say the least. He's been on almost every "hot seat" list for 2020.
-Frost is the only coach in Nebraska in decades to have a losing record (9-15) through 2 seasons.
-The offense Walters lead finished 7th in the Big Ten.
-Walters was let go from Nebraska.
-Walters will be taking an enormous pay cut from 700k salary in college. Why did he not take a similar job at another school?
-Walters has ZERO NFL coaching experience

None of this is to say he'll be a bad hire. Again, it just question why it's been deemee a "good hire". I'm just curious what I'm missing. From my perspective, we've got a coach coming off two terrible years who was let go, taking a big pay cut, with no pro coaching experience.

What am I missing that makes this a good hire?

I don’t put all the Nebraska struggles on the scapegoat that wasn’t even calling the plays. On the other hand, UCF had one of the best offenses in the country while he was there, but again it is Frost’s offense and he calls the plays. So, the problem might be Nebraska not attracting the same kind of athletes that Florida schools have.

Why I think he’ll make a good WR coach is because he was a WR that made himself into an All-American and Belitnikoff award winner through hard work and effort, while not being born with amazing physical ability. Teaching some of that to our WR’s is a good hire.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Welcome aboard Troy Walters new WR coach - Yojimbo - 02-10-2020, 02:10 PM