Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Bloomberg's attempt to buy the election, detailed
(02-17-2020, 12:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...But again, how is this different then any other candidate who is well backed through Super PAC's? Money wins elections, it is a tale as old as time and has only gotten worse as protections for keeping corporate money out have eroded. 

I probably should point out, I am not a Bloomberg guy. I just look at that thread and see little in there that I don't think most people in presidential elections are doing, he's just starting at a primary level before a large amount of the "big money" starts flowing in.

I'm a relative newcomer to politics so I don't have a whole lot of experience with observing and absorbing a primary season from beginning to end, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I'd be very surprised to learn that most politicians are paying off/influencing billionaire donors to not donate to other candidates.

Buying endorsements I think is a little more common, but I'd still be surprised if that was the norm in politics.

And then obviously the ads are completely normal for American politics, but the level of saturation is still pretty insane. Plus paying social media influencers to promote him may just be a different version of ads, but is still pretty sleazy, since social media influencers, more than commercials, are supposedly selling their brand and their ideology (whether that's true or not, that's the general perception) to their followers rather than crafting their ideology to match whoever pays them.

Do Super PACs really have an equivalent level of influence over races?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Bloomberg's attempt to buy the election, detailed - CJD - 02-17-2020, 01:06 PM