Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Reds hang with the Dodgers?
(02-18-2020, 09:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I remember a year or so ago them doing a special on the Buckner incident 35 years later or whatever ? Sad how an otherwise good career was so stained by that one bad play. A play that had it happened in June would have been long forgotten.

I can't help but recall my own FUBAR, on a much smaller stage. I played 2B in HS. pretty much routine pop up to shallow RF, or so it seemed. It was a HR in an elevator shaft pop up. Thing I didn't realize until it was to late, it had a ton of top spin on it and just kept drifting further out and towards 1B. I called everybody off but in the end just couldn't readjust enough. 

Would have been last out. Next guy up hit a two run double, we lost, and got knocked out of playoffs. 

I still remember being about 8 years old back when the entire neighborhood would get involved with big kids and little kids all playing in the same game, sometimes with 6 outfielders and so on. So I'm standing at SS with my glove just sort of hanging by my shoulder and me staring off into the distance watching a bird or something. Jerry Morgan, who was in HS at the time a a BIG kid comes up to bat. I figured he'd hit the ball a mile over everyone's head like he almost always did, but instead he hit a hard line drive directly into my glove. I caught it without even thinking about it. Of course there I was a cocky 8 year old kid acting like I do this every day and probably went on to make a prompt 9 errors right afterwards, but the moment will live in infamy for me and anyone who was there that day.. ThumbsUp That was my 8 year old HOF moment never to be repeated in a million years. Good thing I wasn't standing an inch to my left or it would have probably killed me.

It was times like that that gave me such a love of the game of baseball. The biggest kids in the neighborhood played with little kids barely big enough to hold a bat and I got to hit homeruns and make great plays as just a little, fat kid. I'd give anything to be able to relive that moment in time..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the Reds hang with the Dodgers? - grampahol - 02-18-2020, 10:21 PM