Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSA's Chapter 11 Filing
(02-19-2020, 10:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Tomorrow, it will be 16 years since my Eagle Scout Board of Review and yesterday evening I was tapped for a higher leadership role in our council, so this is interesting timing for me.

I'm sure you have all seen the news, but in case you haven't: https://www.npr.org/2020/02/18/806721827/boy-scouts-of-america-files-for-bankruptcy-as-it-faces-hundreds-of-sex-abuse-cla

What's going on is that several states removed statutes of limitation on sexual abuse cases, which has caused a dramatic rise in lawsuits against the BSA from folks who were Scouts in those states and experienced abuse. So this move is primarily to protect the assets of the organization while being able to pay the victims in these cases. Because local councils are separate entities from the national organization, they will not be at risk unless individually sued (which could happen). Most of these suits, something like 90% of them, are from 30+ years ago in the days before the BSA really focused on policies to protect the youth from these sorts of things.

Anyway, I have a lot of information about this that could clear up any misinformation and what not, so if you have questions let me know. I can run my mouth with you guys, but I don't have the authority to speak on behalf of the BSA, so take it for what it's worth. I'm just a volunteer leader at my local district level and get to hear allllllllllll the fun stuff from our scout executives because we go fishing together. LOL

I have not gotten into the weeds of this so let me say my first snarky comment at home yesterday was that an organization who had leadership (and many parent members) who were so afraid of letting homosexuals even be a part of their group sure didn't seem to do much when the straight guys were sexually assaulting children.

Also that a large organization had something like this happen AND covered it up is of no surprise.  It could be any group, IMHO.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - Belsnickel - 02-19-2020, 10:07 AM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - GMDino - 02-19-2020, 10:17 AM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - Belsnickel - 02-19-2020, 10:36 AM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - fredtoast - 02-19-2020, 07:14 PM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - HarleyDog - 02-19-2020, 09:07 PM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - fredtoast - 02-20-2020, 12:06 PM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - Belsnickel - 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM