Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSA's Chapter 11 Filing
(02-19-2020, 09:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just want to say thanks for being a volunteer in the scouts. I was in the scouts as a kid and it was pretty fun. Although in my case, it was more of a way for my parents to get rid of me a few times a year, I had a lot of fun. We had good leadership and I learned some things. I couldn't even remember if I tried to list any badges I may have earned or where a lot of the trips we took we located because it was 40yrs ago. But I do know the badges were a goal for me and it kept me interested in learning and achieving new things. So again, thanks for what you do with the kids. The military thanks you as well.  Cool

The role I play is that of a commissioner. I work directly with a pack, a girl's troop, and a boy's troop, but I also am the assistant district commissioner which means I help oversee other commissioners in my area (that was my recent "promotion"). Most people that have been involved don't necessarily know what the commissioners do, but we are there to make sure that youth have trained leaders and that those leaders have the resources they need to succeed. So I'm not a member of those units, but a district scouter that provides that connection between the local council/district and those units.

It's rewarding, especially when I go to a Court of Honor for my troops or I head to a district campout and see them competing against other units (and often whipping their asses). The unit leaders, though, those men and women do the real heavy lifting. Yeah, I do a lot, and I spend a lot of time talking with the unit leaders, with the other district volunteers, and our professional staff. But delivering that program for the Scouts directly is a tremendous thing and I'm glad I can support those unit leaders in their roles to do that and have such a positive impact on our youth.

Anyway, enough of my little soapbox, there.

(02-20-2020, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Although I took advantage of the situation to make a joke I also think the Boy Scouts is a great organization.

Don't worry, even someone like myself who has spent so much time in Scouting likes to make jokes about it. You should've heard the parody campfire songs we came up with at camp, and that was 15 years ago.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - Belsnickel - 02-19-2020, 10:07 AM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - GMDino - 02-19-2020, 10:17 AM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - Belsnickel - 02-19-2020, 10:36 AM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - fredtoast - 02-19-2020, 07:14 PM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - HarleyDog - 02-19-2020, 09:07 PM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - fredtoast - 02-20-2020, 12:06 PM
RE: BSA's Chapter 11 Filing - Belsnickel - 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM