Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does Bernie Know Dems Need A Miracle?
(02-25-2020, 08:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dill Wrote: Are you saying that there is no current intel assessment that Russia intends to interfere with our election in favor of Trump in 2020?

Fair questions, but it was a response out of frustration. Do I think the Russians have been interfering? I don't know, I suspect they could be. They've already come at Trump with this, and now Bernie as well. I think it's quite possible the dems are behind the Russian interference. Regardless of the goals of the party, it doesn't mean some individuals are not capable.

Thanks for the response H-Dog.

As far as Russians interfering, our intel services, CIA and FBI have been telling us that since 2016.  Here is a link from 2019.https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/us/politics/fbi-russian-election-interference.html.

Here is one from the recent dust up that got McGuire fired and replaced with a Trump loyalist. The new twist is that Russians appear now to be interfering in primaries. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/us/politics/russian-interference-trump-democrats.html.

Dozens of people across many agencies and offices work together to produce such intel assessments. Democrats in Congress or elsewhere cannot get "behind" intelligence agencies any more than Republicans can, in order to shape their intel products. They do not have that capability. So Adam Schiff cannot simply "make up" an intel report about electing interference and then post it on Twitter.**

Congress and the president really only have two options to control intel products--spin them after the fact with some extra framing, or redact/completely suppress them.*

Trump, not Schiff, now has the real "capability" in this matter. He was angry that Schiff was at the hearing, fearing that he might use the info against him. By replacing the DNI with a loyalist, he can now filter what intel Congress receives. Nevermind that Congress has a right to unfiltered intel, and our national security depends on that. Schiff simply does not have the power Trump does, and I don't think that, if he did, he would turn it to partisan and personal purposes.  Trump can now claim Schiff "got it wrong" and keep a lid on any proof otherwise.

*This reminds me somewhat of that happened before the Iraq War, when Cheney et al. were able to suppress intelligence unfavorable to their goals and mix their own unvetted product in with the properly vetted intel which went to Congress. The result was successful for team Bush--a resolution giving the president power to make the greatest foreign policy blunder since Vietnam. Now Trump has that power, and the people in place to exercise it.

**Thought I'd better add this for "balance." Nationalreview says some intel folks think Dems misinterpreted the briefing.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/officials-dispute-briefing-on-2020-russian-interference-favoring-trump-the-intelligence-doesnt-say-that/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Bernie Know Dems Need A Miracle? - Dill - 02-26-2020, 01:58 PM