Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine commandant orders removal of Confederate paraphernalia at bases
(02-28-2020, 10:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know if I would label that "Right wing or Left wing" at all.  It seems to me that the point of incorporating Generals' names into military installations, was to work for the good will of reunification.  

Today, everyone wants to second guess the decisions of leaders past, in order to fit their current agenda.  However the point was to include the South, along with their pride back into the American Nation.

Now, I'm not saying that time hasn't come to abandon some of the memorabilia from that era, because it has.  I'm just saying that let's not forget why it was there, in the first place.  Those who don't remember history, are condemned to repeat it.

This is one of those things I keep hearing and it's complete shit. We just finally put an end to having Lee-Jackson Day as a state holiday and I heard this constantly. Our legislature also passed a bill giving localities the ability to remove monuments to Confederates that are on public lands (cities did not have the authority to do this if they chose to until now) and it's all the same response.

No one is saying "let's never talk about this again." There are still going to be battlefields, museums, sections in history books, etc., etc. The idea that we are going to forget this history because we are deciding to no longer celebrate people that were literal traitors to the United States of America is ridiculous. Germany does just fine making sure their people know the history of Nazi Germany without having statues of Goebbel, Donitz, Keitel, or Himmler standing around or naming military installations after them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marine commandant orders removal of Confederate paraphernalia at bases - Belsnickel - 02-28-2020, 11:34 PM