Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nick Vigil great pass defense in 2019
(02-28-2020, 07:41 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: He wasn't horrible overall but I think he could improve in the missed tackle category.  I think that has been a significant criticism of him.  From Pro Football Reference 2019 stats on missed tackles compared to those listed above.

Leonard (IND)….. 5 (4.0%)*
Gerry (PHI)………. 14 (15.2%)
Vigil (CIN)………... 21 (15.9%)
David (TAM)……... 10 (7.5%)
Schobert (CLE)….  16 (10.7%)
Kuechly (CAR)...      10 (6.5%)
Davis (NO)………..  5 (4.3%)
Smith (CHI)……...  4 (3.8%)*

*played less than 16 games in 2019: Leonard played 13 games, Smith played 12.

Vigil lead the league in missed tackles according to Pro Football Reference and for a LB I think that is a fairly important stat. He was also followed by the Bengal's Shawn Williams with 20 (14.9%), and Jesse Bates also made the top 10 with 17 (14.5%).  It seems some of the Bengals defense has a bit of a tackling problem.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

George nailed it.

Going back to 2018 when our defense really fell off the edge it seems like they all forgot how to tackle.  I don't have the numbers here in front of me but I would bet we have been at or near the bottom of the league in broken tackles over the last 2 years.

It is extremely frustrating to watch and it is not really mentioned a lot as a very basic problem that could improve our defense significantly if corrected.  Tackling is about desire and fundamentals.  There is no excuse for our ndefense being as bad as they have these last two seasons.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nick Vigil great pass defense in 2019 - fredtoast - 02-29-2020, 11:18 PM