Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green
He is a risk - no doubt. But if you ask why AJ Green the nice guy wants a great contract, I'd have to say he just wants the respect.

AJ's been sort of the backhanded "top 5" guy. Everyone says that he may or may not make that list, and that's what they said in his prime.

Add to that the Bengals have a reputation for disrespecting some of their best players who are aging but not over the hill - I think of Whit. And that overshadows their willingness to extend their good young players. The Bengals don't seem to know when to hold them and when to fold them.

Add to that no one wants to be in contract negotiations year after year. I think he just wants a contract that acknowledges how good he is (or has been at the very least), guarantees him some money and gives him the chance to finish out his career where he started.

I think you front load a very incentive based contract that pays him what he's worth if he's able to stay healthy and play.

If they're franchising him they better by gum sign him before OTAs. Because he's already said he wont be here more than what he has to be if they don't sign him.

And when a guy says repeatedly don't franchise him they've already severely hamstrung the negotiations. You either make a good faith respectful offer, or you trade him. This screw around with the contract that ignores his wishes because "it's a business" and "the inmates don't run the asylum" is cutting the team's nose to spite their face.

If you can't craft a contract that pleases your player - a really nice player- and protects your interest - what the living dickens kind of overpaid professionals are you???

There are risks but there are options. He's worth the risk and you can pay the man if it's conditional.

This is why Tua's agent (Leigh Steinberg?) made a public point of saying that he really hopes the Bengals sign Burrow. Because the story never changes. The FO has a reputation of signing good no risk players to second contracts, but has a long history of overplaying the leverage card instead of getting creative, correctly assessing complex situations and putting a dad gum team together to support the franchise QB you've been waiting for and are about to get. That after 4 miserable years of failing to get the job done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green - Luvnit2 - 03-01-2020, 04:07 PM
RE: ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green - CJD - 03-01-2020, 08:57 PM
RE: ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green - 3wt - 03-02-2020, 04:31 PM