Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Cincy commercials (radio or tv)
Kash Amburgy..Follow the cars! Follow the arrows to Cash's BIG Bargain Barn in SSSOUTH LLLEBONON, Ohiah! You'll save cash with Kash!
Oh yeah..I was a commercial memory geek as a kid. LOL
Dayton had some doozy's too..Emmet Royer.. BHA spells Better Home Appliances..Music and appliance store.. I remember my dad telling Emmet Royer to go F himself in front of all us kids and my mom.. I was SHOCKED! Shocked I say! How many kids went and stood on their heads to sing the BHA song for a buck? Anything to get mom and pop in the door.. I had to deal with that dickwad as a grown man once,, He thought his shit just didn't stink.. It did..
Jerry Cohen of Concord City.. Gawd, he was annoying, but he sold a lot of junk.. As a kid I literally thought Cohen was angry at me for watching his commercials..He yelled all the way through every commercial.. lol
Those were the days when any fool with a store could beat you over the head on TV on Saturday afternoons. Ninja
My dad worked in print advertising in Dayton back in the day both newspaper, some TV and at Rikes department store and the Dayton Retail Merchants Association with a little known character named Harry Imboden who organized the Downtown Dayton Day sales so he knew all those jokers well.. What a lot of people don't know is the Dayton retail scene was a national phenomenon and was repeatedly written about in Ad Age magazine as cutting edge at the time. Emmet Royer, the A-hole he was was nationally known for his commercials and he was copied in just about every TV market in the country after awhile. It's one of the reasons the big grocery store price wars happened in Dayton and the city became one of the prime test markets for just about every product introduced nationally. If a product didn't do well in Dayton in the 60s and 70s it died nationally..a complete flop. The Dayton and Cincinnati area were where products were either made or went to die. The good old days.. Back then the boomer generation was still young for the most part and advertisers went after us with every trick they could come up with. It's why the TV show, Clubhouse 22 in it's heyday was the single highest rated show in the entire nation for it's time slot--3-4 pm or somewhere in that time period.. Poor Malcolm McCloud could have gone on to national fame, but he went into the business end of things instead..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classic Cincy commercials (radio or tv) - grampahol - 03-03-2020, 06:41 AM