Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
House Judiciary Committee v. Don McGahn
https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/29F7900862BA6CD68525851C00784758/$file/19-5331-1831001.pdf

This blurb on the case from taken from r/NeutralPolitics:
Quote:For a quick background, in May 2019, the House Judiciary Committee issued a subpoena to Don McGahn, former White House Counsel, to compel testimony regarding “Trump’s efforts to impede former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation that documented Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election.” McGahn defied the subpoena under the direction of the Trump Administration, which “argued both that senior presidential advisers are ‘absolutely immune’ from being forced to testify to Congress about official acts and that courts lack jurisdiction to resolve such disputes.”

The House Judiciary Committee sued in August, and the judge overseeing the case ruled that McGahn must testify in November. However, the decision was expectedly appealed, and on Friday, Feb. 28th, the Appeals court finally made their decision. The majority opinion effectively argued that the court “had no place in settling [disputes] between the executive and legislative branches of the U.S. government” and that Congress has “ample but imperfect tools at its disposal."

So the question posed in that thread, and what I think would be interesting to discuss, here, is what this means for future disputes between the branches. Also, this thoroughly complicates some of the arguments that have taken place surrounding the impeachment. I do have to wonder if this will reach SCOTUS and if we will see a ruling on it at any point in the near future. I will be watching this much closer, now, as this ruling throws many things up in the air.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
House Judiciary Committee v. Don McGahn - Belsnickel - 03-03-2020, 12:44 PM