Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Front Office in Rebuild mode in 2020
The problem often had in discussions or debates about rebuilding in the NFL is that many people have different ideas about what constitutes a rebuild.

IMHO, too many people equate rebuilding in the NFL to the same as other sports.

In college sports, both basketball and football, a rebuild requires tearing down an old system and shedding players. You then have to catch up in recruiting, and then wait a few years for commits and then development. This all takes time and patience.

In the NBA or MLB, rebuilding usually means dumping tons of salary to spend down the road. Often it can mean tanking as a result. The NBA tanks for draft picks. While MLB waits for prospects to develop in the minors before building around them.

The NFL is an entirely different. You can be in the midst of a rebuild and immediately be improved. You can change the core of your team and the entire dynamic over a year or two.

Do I think we're in "rebuild mode". I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean like Miami? If so, then no I do not.

But I do think we are rebuilding. The identity of the team has and will drastically changed.

What was Marvin, Andy, AJ, Vontaze, Pacman... is now Zach, Joe B, Mixon, Boyd, Hubbard.

Those are the guys that are the future and who will build around. The two biggest faces of a team in this league are the HC and QB. Ours have obviously changed.

All this simply put... we're building something different. Hence the term rebuild. That doesn't mean we're destined for 3-13 or are tanking. It just means we're a work in progress. While we may not be a SB contender that doesnt mean we're trying to lose.

This team needs to try win ASAP, while also examining the future and worth of aging players. It's a balancing act. But in no way do they need to dump every big salary at the expense of the season.

That's how I look at it. We are rebuilding but just not in the way some people think. If that makes sense.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Front Office in Rebuild mode in 2020 - Wes Mantooth - 03-03-2020, 03:56 PM