Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals #1 Pick QB Comparison Palmer versus Burrow
(03-03-2020, 03:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The interesting thing about Herbert is I would argue he's a better prospect than Carson. He has just as much arm strength, but better accuracy  and decision making while doing it over a 4 year career rather than a 6 game stretch.

He's got the same cons as Carson, with bad leadership, spotty accuracy on middle field routes and only fair mobility.

I remember when I first became a Bengals fan in 2004, everyone I spoke to was so excited for Carson Palmer. I kind of got it in my head that he was this generational talent. Like, the next Peyton Manning level prospect.

I never looked into it or anything, that was just the impression I got based on how people talked about him. So when he was elite in 2005, it made sense.

And then, during this off season, I've come to learn that we basically staked out entire franchise on a 6 game wonder with a big arm haha.

Comparing what Carson was in 2003 to what Burrow is in 2020, it's kind of hilarious that they are both going to end up being the same selection because Burrow is just so insanely superior to Carson in nearly every way. And that's with the hindsight knowledge that Carson does, indeed, turn out to be a very good QB.

For me there are a lot of similarities between Palmer and Burrow.  I fell in love with both of them their senior years and hoped they would both end up in Cincy.

I can't agree with you on the Herbert stuff.  Herbert has never been considered a no-brainer 1st overall pick.  Once Palmer started his senior year and got going, he literally took over games.  He could make any throw and put USC in a position where they could beat any team in the country.  He torched Iowa in the Orange Bowl.  Offenses back then were very different.  Palmer was deadly accurate and I never saw the inconsistency that you mentioned during his senior year.  He had one bad game at K-State early in the season.

I've never watched Herbert and thought "wow, he just took over that game and made every throw."  I've always felt like he just always teased and never put it all together.  He just always seems to come up small in a big spot.

I also think if you went back and watch Palmer's senior year, there would be a very strong debate that Palmer is as good if not better of a Pro Prospect than Burrow.  People tend to forget just how good he was.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals #1 Pick QB Comparison Palmer versus Burrow - Hammerstripes - 03-03-2020, 04:28 PM