Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does Bernie Know Dems Need A Miracle?
I clearly don't have a dog in this fight (geography has a big part in that), but I want to say a quick little something:

Free healthcare is not only awesome, but it is NECESSARY in 2020 and beyond; if Canada didn't have free healthcare, there's a good chance I would've died from my cancer, in 2010.

My family has never had money (my parents have never had crippling debt, but also have never had money to spend and spend; they went a good 22+ years before they took their first vacation together, since before my sister was born {1984} and we've NEVER had a new vehicle or anything like that), thus we would've had to have turned to credit and debt, in order to facilitate my cancer appointments and treatment.

Free healthcare allowed me to be seen by someone, then seen again for a biopsy, then be seen by my cancer doctor, 1 week after I was diagnosed (the 2nd, "most popular," cancer hospital in Toronto, at that), plus a radiologist.

Free healthcare allowed me to have CT Scans, an MRI and my surgery, all within a 3-4 week span.

Not to keep repeating, but free healthcare allowed me to go back for treatment and follow-up appointments, every 3 months for 3 years (6 months for 2 years following that).

I have not looked up everything I went through, for a typical American with no health insurance or anything, but I can think it was in the realm of thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars (maybe exaggerating, again, I'm not entirely sure).

There is no way in hell my family could've afforded to pay for that, not to mention I was full-time in University AND worked 40+ hours a week, at that time (I don't know how I managed everything lol), thus, there's a chance that I may have passed away, if living in the US.

Why people don't see that free healthcare can literally be LIFESAVING, is beyond ridiculous and more-than anything, selfish; "I want the leader of the party I like to win, because I want to be on the winning side! To hell with free healthcare that WILL NOT cost lives! The guy proposing it is evil and trods on my beliefs, even though my beliefs are outdated and cruel!"

(that's incredibly simplified, I know)

Just for fun, someone posted on Twitter a, "Sanderstax.com," site, where you can calculate how much more or less you would be taxed, under Sanders tax proposal (I'm sure the majority of you are familiar with it); I did it just for shits and giggles. Now, I don't know if the page where you calculate is 100% accurate or not, but the difference it made for me under your current tax (also calculates it) wasn't the big deal; what was eye-opening to me is JUST HOW LITTLE AMERICANS ARE TAXED IN THE FIRST PLACE (the difference between the Sanders tax and your current tax is also calculated, btw; under Sanders, I'd pay just $124.00 more in tax, for the whole year).

My after-tax earnings this past year (just had my return done, waiting for my refund Big Grin), were around $40,000.00 (a touch north), Canadian.

My after-tax earnings if I lived in the United States? **$48,800.00** (which, in Canadian funds, is $65,500.00, in case you were wondering)

I got taxed over $8,000.00 more living up here, than you guys down there. That's almost 3 months worth of my salary.

Therefore, it is BEYOND a no-brainer, to side with the person who WILL tax more (a paltry amount at that), for getting something as fantastic as free healthcare; I know it's (again) not black and white like this, but come on.

Americans spend so frivolously (from a household, all the way up to the government), it's no wonder why the country is teeming with debt; you know how much more savings/investing I could do with that much extra money from taxes? Hell, even if I spent half of it on a nice vacation for my wife and I, that's STILL $4,000.00. With the money saved from free healthcare (thousands a year for many Americans, if not more), think of how much more money will be injected into the economy, instead of Big Pharma and other related corporations!

Not to mention, all the money spent on those drugs that you guys spend on down there, would be curbed significantly, as people will get seen and treated, instead of having pharmaceuticals thrown at them because they can't afford treatment.

Anyways, that's just how I see it; again, I'm happy and more than comfortable here in Canada, so my views will not reflect the reality of Americans/American life, but when it comes down to it, the decision is super easy.

TL;DR: If Sanders (or anyone, for that matter) is giving you free healthcare for a VERY small bump in taxes, vote for them yesterday and stop spending money you don't have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Bernie Know Dems Need A Miracle? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-04-2020, 02:41 PM