Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nick Vigil great pass defense in 2019
(03-10-2020, 09:57 AM)Housh Wrote: Completion % is a very weird stat to judge a linebacker off of. Guys with great speed and tackling may be better off allowing catches before the sticks then just making the tackle. Let’s say a linebacker plays mostly 3rd downs. It’s possible he could allow a 70% completion % against him but only give up a first down 10% of the time. By the stat Fred gave that guy would look like one of the worst linebackers in the league.

This is why I’m weary of anyone using stats as a way to prove something. A guy like Vigil is not really exceptionalLy fast or strong so hes likely in this bracket simply because he’s not being asked to do what a Luke Keuchley is. Also I don’t doubt that Nick Vigil plays extremely hard every play due to job security. This probably masks some of his shortcomings. Luke is a guy your having guard elite talent because he’s great. Honestly the fact that Luke and Nick are in the same ball park on this stat is not good on Vigils part. It’s actually pretty bad and does nothing but prove his mediocrity.

lawl

You state:

Quote:This is why I’m weary of anyone using stats as a way to prove something.

Then go on to say:

Quote:Honestly the fact that Luke and Nick are in the same ball park on this stat is not good on Vigils part.

Misconstruing-to-prove-your-point, much?

Not to mention, as Fred has written, it is PASSER RATING, not completion percentage, thus the entire argument either went over your head or, as I mentioned, you're misconstruing stats.

Fred only posted this to show that in coverage, Vigil is actually not as bad as we all thought (by the numbers) and is comparable to others that are not bad.

He also CLEARLY acknowledged (what almost all of us know and acknowledge) that Vigil has issues with missed tackles; now, while that clearly has to be remedied, playing 2 games a year against Lamar Jackson will screw up your MT numbers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nick Vigil great pass defense in 2019 - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-10-2020, 12:21 PM