Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Trump Billed Taxpayers $80K for Two-Day Business Trip
(03-11-2020, 01:30 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Are you arguing Full Repub backing vs Voter backing vs Party line? That's 3 different things.

Quite a few Repubs  have made it clear they don't like Trump, but they will still vote along party lines.

Didn't all 45 (+5 Repubs) Senate Democrats vote not guilty for Clinton when he was going thru his Impeachment Trial and it resulted in an Acquittal? So don't feed me that line of BS about Dems being any different. They still followed the party line just like the Repubs did (except for Romney).

And I have no Doubt they would have with Hillary if was the one doing this.

I'll just have to repeat that I'm amazed at the faulty equivalence.

The Clinton impeachment was based upon a finding of "obstruction" when he lied about a private liaison with an intern.  The Republican claim was that ANY violation of legal integrity about any matter unfit a president for an office whose prime directive was to uphold the law. That brought a bipartisan vote of not guilty. (probably from a number on both sides guilty of similar liaisons and ready to "understand" such a lie.)

Trump's most recent obstruction followed the Mueller Report's finding that Trump ORDERED the obstruction of an FBI investigation hinging on national security. And when impeached he refused to depose and withheld material documents and witnesses--in a matter touching on foreign policy and national security and drawing in criminal activity of others. That obstruction clearly signaled a scofflaw's willingness to continue breaking the law and brought a bipartisan vote of guilty--the first in history. Today's Republican party--now the T-Party--protected their man's corruption in a way that the Republican party of 1974 would not.

To conclude from this comparison that "both sides do it," you have to massively collapse the scale of Trump's violation and its implications for rule of law and Congressional oversight--

and to assume Hillary, too, (no doubt?) would lose no votes if she shot someone on 5th Avenue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eric Trump Billed Taxpayers $80K for Two-Day Business Trip - Dill - 03-11-2020, 03:15 PM