Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Trump Billed Taxpayers $80K for Two-Day Business Trip
(03-11-2020, 08:44 PM)Dill Wrote: My answer acknowledged your point--and explained why "toeing the line" is incomparable when the violation is incomparable.

If a jury acquitted a politician who admitted he was guilty of resisting arrest that would hardly establish the same degree of "line toeing" as acquitting a politician who refused to admit guilt in rigging an election and used his power of office to keep evidence thereof out of court--even if the jury vote were the same in each instance.

Vote tallies don't make the crimes equivalent, nor do they establish equal willingness to look past criminality. Yet that is basically your argument. "Votes show they are no different" etc. That's not what votes show, if impeachment articles reveal a vast difference between lying about a private liaison and abusing presidential power and obstructing investigation into that abuse--especially a day after the perp is tagged for the most egregious obstruction in another national security case.  Let me repeat that--a NATIONAL SECURITY case.

And there are myriad other reasons for believing that Democrats, as voters or in Congress, won't "toe the line" to protect a politician who abuses power of office or breaches ethical norms to the degree Trump has. But every reason now to believe that T-Partiers, as voters or in Congress, would toe the line to protect Trump.

What was the outcome of the Trump impeachment trial? Just because you and the left believe he is "guilty" doesn't mean anything since he was acquitted, just like Clinton was, and it was because of their Respective Parties "toeing the line". The problem is there will never ever be an exact equivalent for comparison. It's a rare event to begin with, but one that that might start becoming a precedent going forward. Accusations is the norm in politics, everyone looks for that one advantage over the other. Keep tossing things until something sticks. It is unproductive and I'm tired of both sides playing that game, neither side will ever "win", they are smart and make sure they keep the balance going so they can maintain the "status quo". Just another 2, 4, or 6 years of nothing truly getting accomplished because we as voters are split on voting as well.

And no, how the parties voted makes a big difference in the 2 out comes. Repubs protected Trump and Dems protected Clinton during their respective trials, spin that anyway you want, the outcome remains the same.

Since you believe that the Dems don't "toe the line", then we have nothing further to discuss cause I can't dispute your opinion, even though I showed an example where they did both times and the Repubs did not toe the line which was your initial accusation.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree and wait for the next Dem POTUS impeachment trial in 2024.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eric Trump Billed Taxpayers $80K for Two-Day Business Trip - Mike M (the other one) - 03-12-2020, 01:09 PM