Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Whit - 6 years and counting
(03-19-2020, 12:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even experts get things like this wrong.

At the time, I agreed with the Bengals, and I still do. Giving a big money 3 year deal to a 35 year old doesn't seem like a sound investment...and 99.9% of the time it wouldn't be. The Patriots are known for letting guys go 1-2 years too early rather than 1-2 years too late, and I'd say they're a safe team to model yourself after.

Despite the Whitworth fluke, I hope the Bengals - again - make the correct call when someone like that comes up for a big extension. Tbh, I can't recall a single Tackle playing at an elite level at 38-39 years old. Whit is a unicorn, and no expert can predict how someone's body will age.

It was two decisions that really sunk the franchise.  Not seeing in Whit what the LA Rams did.  Drafting Ogib at number 1. 

In theory moving on made sense, the execution by the Bengals sunk them.  The theory of moving on from a 35 year old skill player is sound probably 90% of time.  Getting his replacement right coming out of the draft is probably right less than 50% of the time.  Had the Bengals drafted his replacement 1 or 2 years before letting Whit walk, they would known if they had a replacement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big Whit - 6 years and counting - bengals1969 - 03-19-2020, 12:48 PM