Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post First Wave of FA Draft - CJD
This is the first mock draft following our torrid of signings (Reader, Waynes, Mack Alex, Xavier Su'a-Filo). I decided to use First pick this time because TDN is going a little crazy at the moment, having OTs like Andrew Thomas dropping out of the first and Josh Jones dropping to the third...
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (A+)
Round 3 Pick 1: Lucas Niang, OT, TCU (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1: Willie Gay, OLB, Mississippi State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1: Damien Lewis, OG, LSU (B+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU (A+)
Round 7 Pick 1: Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina (A+)

This draft basically retools the offense. Reagor can fly and, while he has occasional concentration drops, is great in traffic and with the ball in his hands. I had a choice between him and Jefferson but, honestly, I just think Reagor fits what we want to do better and is a more unique prospect than Jefferson, with truly amazing speed and agility for a WR. Jefferson is a great player, but we already have Boyd and Jefferson would fill virtually an identical role as a slot receiver who will catch anything, even when hit. Reagor can play on the outside and give us that deep threat that we keep waiting for Ross to become.

Lucas Niang is a day 1 RT, in my opinion. He has everything we need to replace Hart. Shane Lemeiux was there, who I would have ordinarily picked as our day 1 starting guard, but Niang lasting to the 3rd was too good to pass up, imo. There are some good OGs later in the draft that I could potentially get.

Willie Gay in the 4th is a choice that I...love. He can fly as a LB and I thought he would be gone by now. But he and Pratt will team up to be the starters in our 4-2-5 defense. It doesn't fix our LB problem, but it's a good start.

The next two picks may be "homer" picks, as there were a few other options available but Moss in the 6th is just insane. I couldn't pass on a player who already has chemistry with Burrow AND has some pretty amazing catches on his resume from the TE position.

And we wrap it up with Bryan Edwards in the 7th, another player I was surprised to see available. But with a WR class this deep, someone is bound to drop eventually. He's not the fastest or quickest WR in the draft, but he is great at reeling in jump balls and contested catches. May be a Tate level player, which is not bad in the 7th round (as Tate was).

The key with this draft is just surrounding Burrow with protection and weapons. If you can do that, he'll almost certainly succeed. We filled a few dire needs on defense in free agency, which allowed me to go so heavy on offense here. I think we could have taken a second linebacker, but the value wasn't there in the later rounds. Either way, I think this draft is the first step in turning into a super bowl contender, giving Burrow everything he needs to succeed in the NFL. We can fix the LBs next year :).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Post First Wave of FA Draft - CJD - CJD - 03-19-2020, 09:27 PM