Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post First Wave of FA Draft - CJD
(03-20-2020, 06:10 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not on the Reagor bandwagon.  I think Willie Gay is a character risk in the same line of Burfict with possibly an Intermittent Explosive Disorder.  Pass.  I like Moss and Lewis.  

While I understand the character risk of Gay Jr, it's important to remember we as fans loved Burfict while he was performing at a high level. We didn't turn on him until he was noticeably slower and couldn't stay healthy.

And even then, there are people who would have still taken him back.

Reading this article, you kind of get the entire breadth of Gay's impact on a team.
https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=76156

From his potential issues with authority:
Quote:Just four weeks into the year, it's been a winding odyssey for Gay. Initially listed as a non-participant in preseason practices, coach Joe Moorhead repeatedly said he was dealing with a lower body issue. Gay, however, contradicted his head coach's words when he approached reporters unprompted during fall camp and said he was not injured.

To the energy and attitude of his teammates when he's on the field:
Quote:"I love having him," junior cornerback Cam Dantzler said. "He's been taking this whole process very well -- other guys probably wouldn't take it as well as he does. But he still brings the juice, even if he is on scout team in practice."

Just four plays into the game Saturday, Gay assuredly made his presence known.

Dropping into coverage and crossing the formation from right to left, Gay chased after Kentucky tight end Justin Rigg.

In the pocket, quarterback Sawyer Smith reared back and fired toward Rigg nine yards down field.

With a quick shuffle and a handful of strides, Gay hopped in front of the pass. Snagging the ball and streaking down the MSU sideline, he beat Smith in a foot race to the front left pylon as he soared into the end zone for a touchdown.

"Before the game I told him he would get a pick-six," Hill said. "And he did."

Quote:But beyond the energy, he brings an All-SEC pedigree defender to an MSU linebacking corps that has struggled at times this season.

"I call him the 'Eraser,'" junior linebacker Erroll Thompson said. "If someone isn't fitting right up front, he's so fast and so twitchy and just a freak of nature; he just erases the mistakes."

All the way back to his unnecessary penalties:
Quote:And for all the success Gay enjoyed Saturday, it was short-lived. After being dinged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty while celebrating his touchdown, he received a second such foul just before halftime as he danced around the Kentucky backfield following a Chauncey Rivers sack -- thus disqualifying him from the game.

You really get the fully Burfict experience with Gay Jr...

...But our defense was NEVER better than when prime level Burfict was on the field. I am willing to take a player with that level of impact in the 4th round.

As far as Reagor goes, I like him for the same reason I am not thrilled about Mims and Claypool. He was a known prospect during the season and he was projected as a first rounder based on his play, not his measurables. I really love the playmaking ability he brings to the team. If we can't get Tee Higgins, one of the few true Green replacements in this draft, then I think getting what Ross was always supposed to be is a nice consolation Tongue. Did you have a receiver at 33 you prefer?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Post First Wave of FA Draft - CJD - CJD - 03-19-2020, 09:27 PM
RE: Post First Wave of FA Draft - CJD - CJD - 03-20-2020, 06:52 PM