Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eiffert #2 te in league this season?
(10-15-2015, 08:59 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 1. Let's be honest, the board being "split" on Gresham isn't true at all. In reality, the only split you could call it were those saying that they wanted Gresham to be re-signed because of the worry if Eifert goes down, we have nothing behind him. There were also a lot of us wanting to see a more improved version of the 2013 offense when we had 2 TE sets with 2 receiving TEs. Very, very, very few people wanted Gresham back here because they thought Eifert sucked and that Gresham was awesomesauce. If someone expresses concern that our 3-4 TEs going into the season had a combined 400 yards receiving and our best talent coming off a season ending injury, I don't think it's really overrating Gresham as much as it's being upset that we lost a guy that was solid here and likely better than a bunch of rookies.

2. Gresham does/did have immense talent and is/was absolutely capable of being a top 10 TE. Do you really argue that? We've seen a lot of guys over the years here with immense talent, but it didn't always translate to the field or issues would arise. It doesn't mean the talent isn't there. Jermaine Gresham is VERY talented, but it's unfortunate that he had his issues and couldn't be that top 10 player that he had potential to be. Gresham may not be a top 10 TE, but you're just showing your bias if you don't think he had the talent to be. Did you watch him in college? Did you see his athleticism in the NFL? The potential and talent was there, but it didn't translate as well as it could have. It's rare to see any of the guys that regularly hit the big numbers to be great blockers, but Gresham could catch and block, so I was content with him not having Jimmy Graham statlines as long as we had other receivers picking up the slack there while Gresham could be a good blocker when needed as well.

3. He may not have been a consensus top 10 player at his position, but that doesn't mean the next step after that is mediocre. Also, having him here with Eifert was what a lot of us wanted to see. I would just about have to guarantee that Gresham would have put up bigger numbers than most TE2 in the league while continuing to be a good blocker, but that's before the whole back injury thing came out and it seems that those issues are still lingering for the guy. I don't love him, I don't think he's great or elite, I don't think he nearly lived up to his potential, I just think he's better than being the punchline on these boards to 90% of posters. You're ignoring the majority if you honestly don't think the narrative has been to bash the damn guy for years now. He has been thrashed as much, if not more than any non-Andy player on this team. Maualuga and Peko have taken less heat at times than Gresham. What he has done on this team since he's been in the league doesn't deserve all the hate, that's my point here, this is the one time I'll throw out the classic Fred line and say that he's definitely better than most people give him credit for.

If you're going to act like people made excuses for Gresham at some astonishing rate, you can check out this new-ish thread for some awesome "excuses", and by excuses I mean an entire thread with just about zero people defending the guy....

http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-Would-Gresham-be-doing-the-same-thing-Eifert-is-if-he-had-this-years-Andy

1. Brother I'm probably the most honest guy on here. Mainly because I don't give 2 shits what anyone thinks about my opinion, and I'm not trying super-hard to promote some image of me being "objective". The boards have always been very split on Gresham, otherwise all Gresham threads would've died off quickly once people realized it was just a big circle jerk of Gresham hate. Instead, most Gresham threads went back and forth much like you and I are now.

I think most Gresham fan-boys were smart enough to see the writing on the wall. Gresh was on his way out and Eifert was obviously ascending. That doesn't mean that some wouldn't have preferred to have Gresh here in at least a role similar to 2013. You say people were concerned with the lack of experience at TE......well how would re-signing Gresh help those rookies gain experience?   Confused

2. We sort-of agree here. Gresh had talent, but in 5 years, it never translated to the field. He wasn't a top 10 TE, period. Yet I saw several people argue that he was over the last few years. At this point I don't think Gresh is even a top 32 TE considering he's backing up Daniel Fells, a guy who has averaged 6.5 starts and 208 receiving yards over the last 6 seasons. Kinda speaks volumes, doesn't it? Even I thought Gresh would be doing better this. He's healthy enough to play, so I have my doubts on how much his back is a factor. It's not like he shredded his knee. His speed and hands shouldn't be affected.

3. Yes, there's been people that went overboard bashing the guy. Same as Dalton or Maualuga. That does not mean there weren't legit reasons for criticism. Gresh was one of the worst blockers at his position for several years according to PFF. He did work hard and improve in that category. His hands were inconsistent. He fumbled way too much for his position. I think he had lapses with his routes. He was moody and apparently a handful in the locker room. He had some issues with penalties (although I do think this was one issue that was exaggerated).

Honestly I hate calling out names, but there's a lot of regular posters who defended Gresh and/or claimed he was a top 10 TE over the years. There used to be some big debates about it. Although I can see why that debate has lost steam with the seasons that Eifert and Gresh are having right now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eiffert #2 te in league this season? - Shake n Blake - 10-15-2015, 02:13 PM