Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow: 'I've won everywhere'
(04-09-2020, 06:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: To the first bold, um, if you DO switch to a 3-4, you NEED a ton of LBs. So yes, we can expect (if we're all on the same page) to see 2 LBs drafted, one high, one low.

To the second bold, no they aren't.

A 3-4 hybrid, that plays Nickel 70% of the time, only means that we will have 3-4 personnel for MAYBE 15% of our snaps.

Dunlap is staying on the line, as is Hubbard; Hubbard may go into coverage 5 times a game, if that.

Lawson is the only one who will be in coverage a bit more.

Don't expect things to be as insanely-drastic as they sound; a 3-4 hybrid doesn't mean, "3-4 base defense for 90% of snaps."

UM, a nickel defense will have 5 DBs (nickel) and sometimes 6 (dime).  

So, let's break it down by position from what I have seen so far this off season.

1.  DBs in the nickel...Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bell, Bates
2. DBs in the dime...Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bell, Bates, Williams (hybrid LBer/S)
3. DL in both...Reader, Geno, (Glasgow, Wren, Topuo rotation)  We can agree to disagree if you want but they made Reader the highest paid NT in the league for a reason.  Reader in Texas played in a 3-4 and is true NT.
4. OLB (Edge if you prefer)...Dunlap, Hubbard  (Lawson, rotation)
5. ILB in nickel...Pratt
6. ILB in dime... none.. Williams as a hybrid if you want to count him as a LBer

So we have this package according to your own statement playing nickel 70% of the time.  Again I am just going by what I have seen in FA and news.

Nickel package
DL....Geno, Reader, (rotation player)
OLB (Edge) Dunlap, Hubbard
ILBer...Pratt
Safety...Bates, Bell
CBs...Waynes, Alexander, Jackson

In this 3-3-5 formation on passing downs you would most likely see Dunlap and Hubbard line up as DEs in a 3 point stance actually making 5 DLineman.  This is what makes this defense unpredictable.  Are they rushing?  Are they dropping back?  

Again, this is just my opinion.  If you said an OLB (edge) then I can see that. Someone like Epenosa at 33 would be a good pick.  A true ILB in a 3-4 or 3-4 hybrid is not going to see the field a ton IF as you said we are running a nickel 70% of the time unless someone like Murray is there and would probably beat out Pratt or Bynes.  You cannot compare last year to this coming year in my eyes.  We played 2 LBers in the nickel last year from what I remember (Vigil, Pratt).  With adding a true NT and extra CBs and Bell at safety tells me that they are moving in a different direction.  I may certainly be wrong, I am just going off what I see in personnel changes and hearing in reports.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow: 'I've won everywhere' - spazz70 - 04-10-2020, 12:00 PM