Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Postal Service
Personally, I still view the mail as an essential part of our every day lives. I still get and send many things via USPS. I have two (personal) letters and a package that will be arriving, today, in fact. Yes, I use informed delivery to know what is coming in the mail.

I may be a rare individual that is willing to supply it with taxpayer dollars, but maybe it's time to bring it back under the full fold of the Executive instead of being an independent agency. We may think about this service as archaic and being replaced by private industry, but do we want to trust private industry, with no real accountability to the people, to be responsible for handling tax documents, government checks, ballots, etc.?

In addition, some individuals would not have equal access to mail services were it not for USPS. For instance, I live in a small city of 50k people. There is an upcharge to ship here via UPS because of it not being a big urban center. Some places around me aren't even serviced by UPS or FedEx because of their rural position, but the mail comes to them. It isn't profitable to these companies to provide service to these areas, even if what they did was essential. We are seeing this with broadband, currently, where it is an essential service for everyone in today's society yet we have K-12 students in my area that are missing out on school entirely because they don't have reliable internet and can't get it. So the idea of moving mail service backwards to the model we currently use for broadband and are complaining about seems illogical to me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
US Postal Service - Belsnickel - 04-12-2020, 07:37 PM
RE: US Postal Service - Goalpost - 04-12-2020, 08:51 PM
RE: US Postal Service - masonbengals fan - 04-12-2020, 09:23 PM
RE: US Postal Service - GMDino - 04-12-2020, 10:07 PM
RE: US Postal Service - GMDino - 04-12-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: US Postal Service - Belsnickel - 04-13-2020, 09:40 AM
RE: US Postal Service - SunsetBengal - 04-13-2020, 01:44 PM
RE: US Postal Service - michaelsean - 04-14-2020, 09:50 AM
RE: US Postal Service - BmorePat87 - 04-14-2020, 11:42 AM