Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Round Projections Available at #33
(04-24-2020, 01:12 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: First round projections left on the board. Who do you take?

17 Josh Jones OL HOU

20 Yetur Gross-Matos EDGE PSU

21 Xavier McKinney S BAMA

24 Kristian Fulton CB LSU

26 Zack Baun LB WISC

28 Grant Delpit S LSU

29 Ross Blacklock DL TCU

30 Trevon Diggs CB BAMA

31 Jonathan Taylor RB WISC

Josh Jones seems like the pick to me.

Well guys, we not only got our QB, but we are sitting in an awesome position right now.  

This is how I break down our situation:  I honestly don't see a guy that had a first round grade that stands out so much as the guy the Bengals were hoping would drop to them.  I see a lot of really good options here.  But not one REALLY stands out over the others.  So, here is my plan:

1.) Seek a trade.  We don't really have to seek anything.  There will be a team (or more likely, teams) that covet one of the guys listed above (and there are more:  Dobbins, D'Andre Swift, Yetur G-M, Mims, etc...lots of folks had them as first round talent).  Compare and negotiate.  If the Bengals can slide 4-6 picks and pick up an additional 3rd rounder, it is more than worth it.  There is still a ton of talent to be had in Rd 3, and I am unsure if one of those players is better than one we could get a bit later and the additional 3rd rounder.  Remember, it is likely that one of these players slides all the way to our pick in the 3rd round.  Someone always falls.   If the Bengals get a really solid trade offer, take it and re-assess.

2.) With no trade, I look at the board and decide what players are:

Highest ranked
Position we covet (WR, OT/G, LB/DE)
Have a significant drop off behind them in their position group.  

By that assessment, I believe the best fit and biggest drop off behind them is Denzel Mims.  I love Claypool, but that is it of the WRs that would be left.  There is no way I see Claypool available in Rd 3.  And there are a lot of guys that fit in to the WR2 or WR3 category, but no one that I feel can take over a game like these guys.  Our depth of guys that create immediate separation and can line up everywhere is paper thin.  I don't want to try and wait for Rd 3 and hope Claypool is there.  So, I would have Mims at the top of my list.

Zach Baun- I have not been as high on him as many others, and I think Josh Uche is every bit as good if not a better prospect.  Willie Gay, Jr. buries both in terms of coverage ability and would be the immediate starter in nickel packages (that we are in 65% of the time) next to Pratt.  There is also Troy Dye, Akeem D-G, Davion Taylor, and Logan Wilson that would be immediate nickel package starters.  That is a lot of depth still available and we could get at the top of Rd 3.  There are also the safeties Kyle Dugger and Jeremy Chinn that are versatile enough to play nickel backer and SS.  Those guys are supreme athletes as well.  Lots of choices here, and some should be available in Rd 3. 

Josh Jones- Here is the wild card.  I believe he would project as a guard here.  He simply doesn't have the pedigree to line up at RT from day 1.  I think Hart and Johnson are actually better fits for RT.  Lucas Niang is a better prospect, as a tackle, but has an injury and do we really want to start with that?  I don't see using the first pick overall in Rd 2 for a guy that MIGHT be able to push out XSF at RG.  Unless I see a beast of a RG that is head and shoulders above his peers here, I am waiting on a guard prospect.  There is a very good chance that Damien Lewis will be  there at the top of Rd 4.

McKinney is excellent value here, but he needs to improve tackling and running a 4.63 might have really hurt his stock.  If I wanted a safety that could do it all (and play nickel backer) and even return punts, I would take Kyle Dugger after sliding in Rd 2 or aim for him at the top of Rd 3.

In summary, I would try to slide back and reassess using the same logical breakdown of the position groups.  If there is not a great trade available, I am taking Mims.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1st Round Projections Available at #33 - SHRacerX - 04-24-2020, 09:25 AM