Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Back End Speed Concerns
(04-26-2020, 05:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I love the direction of the new defense, but I think there is still one main area of concern (assuming the LB room is somewhat fixed).

We have really emphasized tackling and stopping the run, which is great for winning our division. It all starts with beating your divisional opponents. However, I'm concerned about how this strategy will fair against teams like the Chiefs (assuming we would have to face them in the playoffs for years to come if we get back there). I'm not sure that we have the necessary speed in the secondary to keep up with the current air raid offensive trends. I think we could invest in a speedy slot corner at some point, and we need to be very focused on not blowing assignments as we did a few too many times last year. I have faith in Jesse Bates, but I'm not sure that Williams and Bell are suited for defending against those burner types. With how the secondary sits right now, I can see us still getting out-schemed here....

I think this should be a point of emphasis in next years draft, after further addition to the O-line.

It is a legitimate concern, but don't forget that if his medicals are ok (big if), ADG will play a hybrid role outside and has outstanding speed.  We also have seemingly forgotten about Darius Phillips, a burner that showed VERY well as he took over for Kirkpatrick last year.  That is QUALITY depth, with starter potential.  If WJIII doesn't return to form (and he is also a 4.3 guy),  they may choose to go with Phillips and not extend WJIII.  Amazing, considering how that guy started.  

Mackenzie Alexander has real speed in the slot as well.  The biggest issue that plagued the defense was lack of speed and range at LB.  The front four could rarely get home because opposing QBs had such an easy option out of the backfield with RBs, TEs, or some slot WRs.  The coverage was awful.  No longer.  

The Bengals rarely got beat over the top, but got nickel-and-dimed all day long.  I think the long speed on the back end is just fine and the entire recipe will create a nice product in the end.  

I also believe having rotational players to keep the starters fresh is a huge benefit to their upgraded roster.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Back End Speed Concerns - GreenCornBengal - 04-26-2020, 05:55 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - pally - 04-26-2020, 09:28 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - phil413 - 04-26-2020, 11:29 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - fozzie11 - 04-26-2020, 09:37 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - SunsetBengal - 04-26-2020, 09:49 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - SHRacerX - 04-26-2020, 11:12 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - Sled21 - 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - SHRacerX - 04-26-2020, 10:47 AM
RE: Back End Speed Concerns - SHRacerX - 04-26-2020, 11:06 AM