Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Overall Rookie QB's and Their Backups
(05-06-2020, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know you are only talking about #1 overall rookie QB's Wes but wasn't Gradkowski Dalton's back up when he came in?

Might be more relevant to us as Dalton had a fine rookie season even if he was a 2nd rounder and he made the Playoffs
his rookie year. Still wanting to bring in Matt Moore as a backup and let Finley go, Dolegala brings more to the table IMO.

He was.  Fwiw, if he were to be added to this list, his numbers would be... 5 years experience, 31 games played.

I really don't think a backup will make much of any difference to Burrow's numbers or performance as a rookie.

I do however think people severly under-estimate the value of a having a veteran presence in the QB room for Burrow to lean on, as his transitions to the pro game.

This extends well beyond simple X's and O's, or their teaching that many seem to dismiss. This extends to all the things surrounding the game and the life of a professional athlete.

I don't care how well coached or how good a prospect is.  When you go from a 22 year old kid playing college ball to a professional athlete worth tens of millions of dollars, that's a lot to digest.

There's agents, investments, team politics, training routines and dietary programs, sponsorships, charities, houses vs condos to buy or owning vs renting, neighborhoods, life advice.

While you can lean on coaches, and your parents, or any number of people for help in these areas; a guy who's actually been in that situatio at your age, and has prospered, can greatly help you navigate some of that.

And some may scoff at this as nonsense.  But I think most people, when they entered the workforce had older peers that they learned much from, even outside of the job.  When you're that age it's nice to have someone a few years older to lean on, and will bust your balls from time to time when needed.

Sorry for the long winded reply, and I'm not even sure I explained myself properly.  I just think too many on here don't consider much of what a vet offers beyond the obvious.  And I 100% agree with you on Matt Moore.  He would be perfect for the role!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: #1 Overall Rookie QB's and Their Backups - Wes Mantooth - 05-06-2020, 09:12 PM