Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the Bengals Have Already Failed Joe Burrow
(05-11-2020, 12:18 AM)phil413 Wrote: Im late on this but:

-I aplaud the topic even if the article is sharp.  The Bengals did a lot in the offseason, we should be thrilled that there's only one glaringly weak position group coming off of a 2 win year.  For all the fluff peices I hear about certain parts of the OL my take is this:  If all goes right and guys make big leaps, we will have an average OL.  We act like injuries won't happen.  

-Message boards are filled with homer/hater bias but there's nothing wrong with thinking critically about this team's improvement.  We've been burned with an array of bad development, luck, drafting, whatever on the OL.  Let's get past that and see what we have.

-I won't pile on about waiting in the draft.  They took BPA grade players up until Kareem.  You don't overdraft to fit need. Ideally you trade down a few slots, still get Kareem and swapba 6th or 7th for an overpaid vet OL.  Maybe the deal wasn't there, maybe they forecasted the cuts to he worth waiting on, maybe they truly were handcuff financially in that window where they banked on a Dalton resolution. A trade didn't happen and it was a good draft, even Bailey was a great pick.  No pressure on a 6th rounder to fix the OL either.  

-Praising Burrow's playmaking and read ability doesn't justify being negligent with the 5 in front of him.  Arguing how good or bad LSU's line was has nothing to do with those 5.  That's like saying a soldier is so good that it's a complement to not give him the proper gear.

You guys have done a good job of debating if a player is enogh or not.  My take is the team either isn't done or isn't realistic even if they are experts.  You can project MJ and justify excuses, but let him earn it, depending on him to start isn't about us believing in his ability or salivating at saying "I told you so".  Same goes for Fred Johnson, the team can like him in the 146 snaps of real action, but he is battling for a spot.  

We are ONE legit starter away from not failing Burrow.  XSF is a 3mil/yr platoon guard to push the youngsters.  If your plan is for him to start at RG and MJ at LG, you are still one player of XSF's ability shy.  If you justify Warford not being a scheme fit (though you should consider his overall talent vs eliminating him), fine give me Mike Person.  I can live with letting these guys battle it out, but we have money and seemingly playing time to offer. Sign a solid vet even for one year.  

I've taken shots at Hart, but his play improved and I can live with a Hart/Johnson RT battle if we had more stability at guard.  That sets you guys up to scream at some of these young guys for positions they shouldn't be in. Like MJ didn't happen.  My hope is that Cincy knows the market will come down and they'll sign one of the handful of descent vets to help bridge the gap for Burrow.  This isn't a molehill, this is something we owe the guy that we were holding our breath over...not only that we'd get him but that he would want to be a Bengal.

Good post. 

I think that Hopkins, Hart, and XSF have proven they are low level starter quality players. Hopkins probably the best of the bunch. There is reason to believe all of them COULD get better: Hart improved as the year went on, XSF will get his first shot as a consistent starter (59 starts career), and I think last year was Hopkins' first at C? While not great, these guys are not dumpster fires.

Jordan was a dumpster fire the first half of last year. Whether he just got better, benefitted from the scheme change, or having a competent LT next to him (Glenn/Johnson), who knows? Probably a bit of each. If we get the guy from late in the year, we could have a plus starter at LG.

Williams should be a stud. However, tackles have an adjustment period, usually.

The scary part is that our depth is either terrible (Price, Redmond), completely unproven (Adejini, Prince, Dugas, UDFAs), or almost completely unproven (Johnson). 

I'd rather add a T. Or a C. Almost the entire projected 9 lineman can/have olayed G: Jordan, XSF, Hopkins, Johnson, Price, Redmond, Adejini, and Hart.

Only 3 real OTs with pro experience. That is counting Johnson's 1 start but not Adejini (projected at G) or Prince. If something happens to Hopkins & Price has to play, we are screwed.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where the Bengals Have Already Failed Joe Burrow - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-11-2020, 09:28 PM