Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals are interested in Warford
One thing I see mentioned quite a bit, whenever any potential signing or our cap space is brought up, is factoring in potentially extending AJ Green (along with Mixon).

Just so we're clear, IF we were to extend AJ it would most likely save us money against the cap for this season.

His current cap hit on the tag is is 18 mil dollars. Barring an extension where we choose to front-load the heck out of the contract, that number most likely comes down.

--Ex. 4 yrs, 55 mil @ average hits of 13.75. 2020 savings = 4.25 mil (This is just an example for simplicity sake. I have no clue what the true savings or number would be, only that the his 2020 hit of 18 mil is likely to go down)

I only bring this up because it seems there's confusion about cap considerations. While an AJ Green extension would require a big pile of money, and it would lock up future space that could be spent elsewhere, it doesn't necessarilly mean we need to set aside anything right now.

Mixon on the other hand is entirely different story. IMHO he's worth about 9-10 mil per on an early deal that rewards him with an immediate raise. His cap number would rise substantially, in the neighborhood of 8-9 mil.

In many of the threads this season, the backup QB ones for example, people have said "I'd rather use that money for AJ". Again, just so we're clear, a new deal for AJ doesn't prohibit you from spending elsewhere. A new deal increases 2020 cap space, not decreases.

On topic, this would be a great signing. Simply put, he's better than any guard on our roster and his market price seems more than reasonable. I'm not sure what's to argue about either of those statements. I guess the question is, even if we were to pursure him, would he want to come aboard?

I hope we do, and I hope he does. This would be a great example of "All In", and further cements the message that this teams is all about winning immediately.

*Fingers crossed.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Bengals are interested in Warford - Wes Mantooth - 05-13-2020, 10:50 AM