Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the Bengals Have Already Failed Joe Burrow
(05-14-2020, 02:47 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I think you're placing too much emphasis on the grade. 

Right.  

I 100% agree with the rest of what you said in that diatribe.

We both agree PFF collects a lot of information.  In fact I often use what I call their "objective" stats like "completion percentage allowed" for DBs.  I never complain about the source when I see other people use these stats.

But there are two problems with the grades.  First, they are too subjective.  Two players can both do their job on a play but one will get 100% more "points".  Second the formula they used allowed a player to be ranked behind another who played half as many snaps and messed up more often.  If they use a different formula now I can't find it anywhere.

But the big thing to me about the PFF grades is that NFL teams often disregard PFF grades when shopping in free agency or drafting college players.  I know age and health also effects the price of free agents, but even taking those things into account the value is often much different than the PFF grade.

My favorite example of the credibility of the PFF stats I the fact they said Andy Dalton was better in 2018 than 2015.

Now I am done with this.  I am dropping the subject of PFF.  I will even let you have the last word.

[Image: good-day-14951975.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where the Bengals Have Already Failed Joe Burrow - fredtoast - 05-14-2020, 03:24 PM