Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like the way they continue to build around Sample
(06-08-2020, 06:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Tobin doesn't coach the team or call the plays.

Again, all of the stats presented were career highs.  Had it been a coaching or play-calling issue, it would be only reflected for their respective time here.  All of them had opportunities to extend their career elsewhere, with the exception of Eifert, Uzomah, and Sample.

Sean Brewer also played for the Falcons (9 games), Redskins (Cut), and Chargers (Cut).  His career zero yards can't be blamed on coaching or system, he just sucked.

Matt Schoebel spent 3 years on the Eagles. All were winning teams coached by Andy Reid.  His highest yardage total there was 214.  Again, he just wasn't very good.

Chase Coffman spent time here, along with the Bucs, Falcons, Titans, Seahawks, and Colts.  His career high actually came in a split season b/t Ten and Sea, which produced a whopping 71 yards.  His career TOTAL is 177.  He had ample opportunities in different systems yet he was cut everywhere he went.  He stunk.

Gresham spent 4 years in Arizona.  He never even hit 400 yards.  He had some ok success here, but once again, I don't think you can blame the system.  He is what the stats show.  A decent but far from great TE.  He did not live up to his draft position.

Orson Charles spent time here, along with the Saints, Lions, Chiefs, Browns, and Broncos.  The man never caught a pass. EVER. ANYWHERE.  The only roster he actually made he made as a backup fullback.  Again, not the system or coaching. The guy stunk.

Tyler Kroft went to Buffalo last year.  New system, new coaches.  He had 6 catches for 71 yards in 11 games.  Not looking too good so far for him there.

The fact of the matter is we wasted some relatively decent picks on relatively awful Tight Ends (Brewer, Schoebel, Coffman, Charles, and Kroft).  We never saw Gresham live up to his draft position.  Eifert neither.  The best value of the whole lot was Uzomah and he's never even hit 450 yards.

I hope Sample proves to be the exception, and we get our value out of that pick.  But forgive me for thinking history is not on our side.  Even as impressive as Fred's 30 receptions in your rookie year is, I have my doubts.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I like the way they continue to build around Sample - Wes Mantooth - 06-08-2020, 07:25 PM