Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winning vs. Rushing yards allowed on defense
(06-09-2020, 09:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is very interesting....

A couple things that I correlate to the decline in run defense:

Domata Peko.  Probably one of the most underappreciated Bengals of all time.  Dude ate up a ton of snaps and helped clog the middle.  Didn't offer a ton of pass rush, but could move laterally very well for a big man and help stuff the run.  His last year in Cincinnati was 2016.  This actually excites me because I could see an even bigger impact with DJ Reader.  

Although the 2015 rush defense was rated pretty high, I would call that a bit of an outlier due in part to the balanced and very productive offense.  You can see a decline after the 2013 season as well.  Aside from the aforementioned outlier (2015), the defense had a string of really solid rush defense rankings for roughly five years.  2013 was the last year we had Mike Zimmer as DC.

I don't have much of an opinion of Lou Anarumo as of yet, but I am much happier that we have Al Golden as LB coach compared to Jim Haslett the prior year.  I didn't go back and pull up a ton of stats, but Golden's teams have usually had tough defenses.  His college coaching background should help him in working with a very young LB room as well.  

More optimism.   ThumbsUp

I was known as a Peko hater cause I wanted a DT that was not a one trick pony that could also rush the passer but I cannot
deny that he was a good run stopper and helped out the entire Defense. The thing is, Reader is the type of DT/NT I wanted.
Thought Billings could of became this for us but Reader is already there.

Also Tem Lukabu (spelling) was our LB coach last season and yeah Haslett was terrible.

Also liking the Golden pick up, cannot wait to see what he does with all these talented young LB's. Pratt, Wilson, ADG, Bailey,
loved all these guys before we drafted them. Also I think Bynes could really help these guys out as well to adapt to the NFL.
Bynes is smart with tons of experience.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Winning vs. Rushing yards allowed on defense - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-09-2020, 03:48 PM