Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darron Lee interested in coming to the Bengals?
(06-11-2020, 07:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bynes quietly had one of the strongest seasons among linebackers. His PFF grade of 79.4 ranked sixth among linebackers this season. This is not an isolated occurrence, either; he had a PFF rating of 75.3 with the Cardinals in 2018. That included a run defense grade of 80.2.

While Bynes is a good run defender, he really stood out in pass coverage. Opponets had a passer rating of only 47.4, when targeting him. Let's compare that to his fellow inside linebackers.

Opponent passer rating when targeted

Josh Bynes: 47.4
L.J. Fort: 84.1
Patrick Onwuasor: 118.6
Chris Board: 118.7

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2020/3/7/21168655/the-ravens-should-re-sign-josh-bynes

He could thrive here for all we know. He is smart, experienced and is in the right place at the right time.

Think Dhani Jones but better in coverage.

(06-11-2020, 08:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's not hate if it's supported by facts.

Fwiw, I don't even want Derron Lee.  (There's a reason he was traded for next to nothing, and he'll be on his 3rd team in just 5 year.  And there's a reason a reason he's still sitting here this late into free agency.)

But what Fred said can't be labeled as just hate.  Bynes has been a career backup.  I think he covered most of the stats, and Im too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure he only won a starting job out of camp a single time in his entire career.  I believe it was with the Cardinals.  He was immediately released after the season.

I'm not saying this to "hate" on Bynes. I'm just speaking the truth.  And I absolutely hate agreeing with Fred. But he's not wrong.  Lee has seen more times as a starter, and has played at a higher level at times.  And maybe Bynes finally shines here now that it appears he has a real opportunity on a LB starved roster.  But some of you guys need to pump the brakes on this dude a bit, and maybe quit taking honest takes so personally as to label them as hating on the guy.

Let's all hope for the best for this dude.  It's hard to believe it could be any worse than what we had last year.  So at least there is that...

Fred has been saying Bynes is worse than Vigil since we got him, I call that hate.

It is irrational. Just cause Bynes got cut by the Cards doesn't make him a bad player, we don't know what that all entailed.

As you said, he might do well on this LB starved roster, doesn't make him a bad player cause he played on a loaded LB roster
and was a backup that played pretty dang good. The Ravens fans hated losing him and that tells me something.

Same with Mackenzie Alexander who the Viking fans hated losing.

Pump the breaks? All I am saying is that Bynes could be decent for us, I am not saying he is great or anything, just solid and 
one heck of a lot better than Vigil in tackling and in coverage.

And I thought Vigil was better than a lot on here.

(06-11-2020, 08:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: PFF ratings in 2019:

Bynes: 76.6
Lee: 36.3

Bynes: 2018 75.3. 2017 69.9.
Lee: 3 of last 4 years under 50.

Seems to me Bynes has been consistently pretty good and Lee consistently pretty crappy. 

Yep, but what are Evans rankings who we should be comparing Lee to?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Darron Lee interested in coming to the Bengals? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-12-2020, 12:45 PM