Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Von Bell Signing Deserves More Love on Here
I know almost all of us have applauded this year's haul free agency. Obviously Reader is the gem of the group, as he should be with what ponied up for him. I've also seen a lot of talk about Waynes contract, and whether or not we overpaid, and how he fits. But I really haven't seen much discussion specifically about Vonn Bell. I'd put the talk surrounding him equal to or less than Mackenzie Alexander and XSF. So I figured why not shine a spotlight on this deal.

For me personally, this may be the best signing of the class just from a value perspective. Here's why I believe that:

-Bell is only 25. So just like these other guys he's in the prime of his career.

-Of all of these signings, no other player has been on a team that has won more. The Saints went 44-16 in his 4 years and advanced to the NFC Championship just like the Vikings did. He was on 2 13-3 teams, and made the playoffs 3 out 4 years.

-He was the #1 rated in SS in run defense according to PFF in 2019. He's been very good in the run game his entire career.

-He recovered a whopping 5 fumbles in 2019, along with forcing 2 himself.

-He's a playaker. He's got 7 forced fumbles on his career, he's got 7 recoveries, and he's taken one back to the house.

-He's spent some time in the Nickleback position as a 3rd CB. While his coverage skills may not be the best, the fact he's been moved around a bit shows some versatility.

-Draft position. To be drafted where he was as SS coming out of college shows he has the physical tools needed for the position.

-Contract. Not a lot of money per season (6 mil), nor a lot of years (3). Elite level safetys are making well over 10 mil, some as high 14. For us to pay at or slightly below market value for an average starter seems like low risk/high reward.

I'll wrap it up here shortly, as I think I've pretty much covered it all as far as positives. These are the types of signings I've been calling for for awhile now. Younger guys on managable salaries. No more AJ Hawk's or Karlos Dansbys. No more trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. We identified a huge weakness (run defense) and we helped solve by bringing in one of the best SS in the league against the run. And we didn't go cheap, but we didn't break the bank either.

This is my favorite signing. :andy:
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Von Bell Signing Deserves More Love on Here - Wes Mantooth - 06-17-2020, 12:51 PM