Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
I honestly either forgot about Juneteenth or just never knew about it. Bear in mind that at the ages of 12 and 13 I began reading and learning about the Civil War. By the time I was 18 and left for college, I had amassed a collection of books/literature/magazines on the War that was well over $1000 worth. Friends were putting money into their cars/jeeps or whatnot, I was putting it into my Civil War buff addiction. I knew more on the War than any teacher I had in high school, probably all combined. Made numerous trips to Gettysburg, Antietam, and the battlefields in Virginia by time I was in my early 20's.

I guess my point is, it's ok for Juneteenth not to be known about, but that doesn't mean it should be forgotten nor observed. There were so many occasions from the war that should or could be celebrated in regards to black America, from the signing of the Emancipation, the Battle of Fort Wagner with the 54th Mass., the passage of the 13th Amendment before the war ended.

In regards to what is taught in schools, I never even studied the Civil War back in the mid-90s in High School. The first semester went right up until the Civil War. But 2nd semester I had a liberal teacher who decided to teach history backwards starting with 1990s going back to the Civil War. We literally spent over a month just on the 1960s and 70's discussing all the social changes as the main focus. Looking back this was her focus. We then spent a bit of time on Vietnam, like a few days, a couple of days on WW2, WW1 was a paragraph, spent time on the Indian wars, then school was over. Never even made it to the Civil War. Yeah I was pretty pissed on that one lol.

I just hope going forward schools everywhere will teach history for what it was, not to promote some propaganda agenda from whoever decides what is taught. History should be taught in it's rawest form, from it's primary sources, not from current political views.

(06-20-2020, 11:06 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/503685-protesters-tear-down-statues-of-union-general-ulysses-s-grant-national

Should probably be taught who Ulysses S. Grant was also. I highly recommend it.

I saw this earlier, and it makes no sense at all other than it makes those protesters look like ignorant idiots. Then again, this was in San Fran, so it makes a bit of sense. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - Millhouse - 06-20-2020, 01:04 PM