Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Point Should A Team Move On From A Player
I think the time to move on comes a lot sooner than it used to. I think the length of the rookie deal is standard right now. A player is either good enough to get a new deal, or he isn't. I suppose teams can bring guys back at a much reduced rate if they fill a role, but that's about it.

It's also very situational. Arizona proved that you can draft a first round QB then turn around and do it again the following year. That was basically unheard of until then. There were moving parts like a coaching change and the availability of a player he fell in love with all coming together. Plus Mahomes and the Kingsbury connection made it seem desirable for them to draft a high-athletic upside QB with a baseball arm.

As far as Ross goes, I think he has still has all the potential in the world. He entered into a raw deal when ownership drafted him while overriding Marvin, who allegedly was all in on Rueben Foster. Burrow is obviously a passer that likes to spread the ball around to several guys. He's also a no-doubt leader who will push the entire offense to get all he can out of them. If Ross somehow stays healthy and still can't win in the current situation, then he's probably done.

I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it, but it also wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world to me if Ross had a breakout season. He's in an ideal scenario to make it happen, and he's trying to get paid again. Teams around the league will break the bank for a guy with his physical skill set that can put up numbers to match.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Point Should A Team Move On From A Player - samhain - 06-21-2020, 02:42 PM