Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-22-2020, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll tell you the same thing I tell my white power friends who talk about how many white slaves there were in the colonies because indentured servitude is the same a chattel slavery.  .  .  

"BULLSHIT!"

It is ridiculous to claim it is not appropriate to celebrate the end of innocent people being bought and sold like animals just because we continue to punish convicted criminals.  I think it is highly offensive to lump the innocent people who endured chattel slavery into the same group with convicted criminals being punished for a crime.

You can tell that to the scholar who said it, not me. Those weren't my words.

I will only add to this, though, that you are ignoring that governments all across the South almost immediately enacted laws targeting the newly freed black population that made crimes things that they were perceived as doing at a higher rate in an effort to fill jails and prisons and continue to use them for free labor. These laws continue to be in existence to this day and their intention was not hidden. You can read the minutes of the legislative sessions in which these laws were enacted where they said explicitly they were passed to target the black population (and also that poor white would be caught up in it but they didn't care about them, either).
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - Belsnickel - 06-22-2020, 03:16 PM