Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-22-2020, 03:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not going to dig into all the research I have done on this for various classes or the lectures I have sat in on the topic. One of the best stops for some of this information, though, is The New Jim Crow. The book also contains a large amount of notes that can be mined for sources on this topic, as well. I know this because I availed myself of them for several research projects on the topic.

I have studied the issue also.

Racial profiling contributes to a higher arrestrate for minorities.

Sentence disparities cause minorities (especially blacks) to get longer sentences, and are even more extreme in death penalty cases (but luckily death penalty cases are pretty rare).

Minorities tend to have a higher poverty rate and poorer people commit more crimes.  So this also effects the crime rate for minorities.

But none of this changes the fact that police come in contact more wioth blacks because blacks commit more crimes.  And a higher percentage of black mpeople get convicted of crimes because a higher percentage of black people commit crimes.  And as long as people keep telling blacks that white people are to blame the problem will not get fixed.

In the 1930's white people looked at bank robbers as heroes because they though the banks were evil.  That was wrong.  today a large portion of the black community glamourizes the "thug life" and see criminals as heroes because they are told the system only punishes black people.  That is also wrong.

Claiming that punishing criminals is the same as chattel slavery is bullshit and that type of talk hurts blacks more than it helpes.  Plus it is a huge insult to innocent people who lived under chattel slavery.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - fredtoast - 06-22-2020, 04:19 PM