Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-22-2020, 05:17 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Whites are far more likely to abuse pain medication and methamphetamine. Does that mean the "entire white culture" is comprised of pain pill and meth addicts? Of course not. Is it a problem with some? Yes, but you can't label the whole white culture with that stigma. You also can't label the "black culture" as a whole with the issues of a certain percentage. The "facts" you cite address a segment of the culture. Within those segments, the examination becomes even more nuanced as to the "why" things are that way. To simply quote statistics and deem the conclusion automatic is disingenuous as it concerns these topics. There are a great number of factors at play with each of these situations that can adversely impact behavior, outcomes and consequences. It's not as simple as stating the numbers that can identify definitive causal lines.

If I felt that white people were failing to succeeding or reach their true potential in todays society I would immediately look at the problem with opiod addiction and meth.

I never judge a black individual based on stereotypes about blacks in America.  To me that is the definition of "racism".  But when we talk about the problems facing blacks in America as a group then we are forced to look at the statistics.  I see tons of people quoting facts about black incarceration rates and poverty rates but no one claims they are being "disingenuous".

And I agree there are a lot of factors in play.  I acknowledge that racial profiling and sentence disparity contribute to the high incarceration rates of blacks.  But that does not mean we can ignore the fact that they also commit more crimes.  And lack of high quality health care leads to a higher rate of sexually transmitted disease, but it does not account for a rate hundreds of time higher than with whites and it does not explain the birth rate among blacks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - fredtoast - 06-23-2020, 11:28 AM