Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-23-2020, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I agree there are a lot of factors in play.  I acknowledge that racial profiling and sentence disparity contribute to the high incarceration rates of blacks.  But that does not mean we can ignore the fact that they also commit more crimes. 

But do black people commit more crimes, or are they caught more often? Serious question that is hard to answer, I know, because anything we could talk about in that regard would be purely anecdotal and not really worth diving into, so I'll leave it as a thought experiment.

But the first part of this, that is something I have to point out. When an individual has contact with the criminal justice system, their likelihood of ending up in jail/prison for something more serious increases, does it not? So if racial profiling creates a higher rate of contact with the criminal justice system, which then increases the likelihood of those individuals doing something more serious down the road, would that not mean that those things are potentially, at least partially responsible for a higher crime rate by the black community?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - Belsnickel - 06-23-2020, 11:47 AM