Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-23-2020, 11:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: But do black people commit more crimes, or are they caught more often? Serious question that is hard to answer, I know, because anything we could talk about in that regard would be purely anecdotal and not really worth diving into, so I'll leave it as a thought experiment.

But the first part of this, that is something I have to point out. When an individual has contact with the criminal justice system, their likelihood of ending up in jail/prison for something more serious increases, does it not? So if racial profiling creates a higher rate of contact with the criminal justice system, which then increases the likelihood of those individuals doing something more serious down the road, would that not mean that those things are potentially, at least partially responsible for a higher crime rate by the black community?

I don't consider the US Bureau of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) "anecdotal".  It removes the possible influence of racist police or courts.  And according to it black people report being the victim of violent crime at a rate almost twice that of whites, and 70% of the offenders are other black people (just like most of the offenders against white people are other white people).

So are black crime victims part of the "systemic racism" that puts so many black people in jail?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - fredtoast - 06-23-2020, 11:58 AM