Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-23-2020, 12:41 PM)Dill Wrote: What is "black culture" and where does it come from? 

Also, I am wondering in what sense you are using the word "culture" here. 

I'm thinking if there is such a thing as "black culture" in the U.S., it ought to include black conservatism, the novels of Ralph Ellison and Toni Morrison, social analyses of W. E.B. DuBois, chain gang songs, jazz and church spirituals, along with the movies of Spike Lee.

(06-23-2020, 12:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wait, it's not a monolith characterized solely by rap music? It's almost like we need to be teaching about black history and culture...

So neither one of you are disagreeing that a large portion of black culture glorifies "thug life" and gun violence?  I never said it was "all" of black culture.  But you guys are obviously just trying to dodge the issue.

I am willing to admit that there is racism in the white culture despite John Brown being a white man and a long list of white people who fought for civil rights.

Are either of you willing to admit that the Rap and Hip-hop culture don't have a problem with promoting thug life, misogyny, and gun violence?  And I know that white rock stars have glorified drug use, but the Rap/Hip-hop industry is the ONLY industry controlled by the black community.  It is a much bigger influence in the black society than rock music is in white culture.  Rap music moguls are seen as the industrial giants in the black community.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - fredtoast - 06-23-2020, 01:13 PM