Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-23-2020, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And here is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Lots of black women have fought hard against the influence of "pimping" in black culture, but now we have some white guy saying it is no problem because we can't say anything bad about black people.

Educate yourself.
Well this white guy has said we ought not to take recent fragments of urban popular culture and call them "black culture." 

The inference to "it is no problem because we can't say anything bad about black people" is wholly unwarranted by any of my statements, which have so far been largely historical/analytical.

And how does Lloyd's example support your version of US/Black history and not mine, since neither of us thinks "pimpin' hos" a positive lifestyle?
Our disagreement is about the origins of such a subculture, and therefore how it might be addressed.

Your article also references Sharply-Whiting. Few people have delved more deeply into the historical and psychological motivations of "pimp rap," as Sharply-Whiting, examining her own conflicted relationship thereto. But though I respect her work, even she is on some points subject to the same critique you are--detachment of current power dynamics from their historical development. And a failure to suggest how negative definitions of black women might be effectively challenged out side of college classrooms.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - Dill - 06-23-2020, 02:30 PM