Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula
(06-23-2020, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So neither one of you are disagreeing that a large portion of black culture glorifies "thug life" and gun violence?  I never said it was "all" of black culture.  But you guys are obviously just trying to dodge the issue.

I am willing to admit that there is racism in the white culture despite John Brown being a white man and a long list of white people who fought for civil rights.

Are either of you willing to admit that the Rap and Hip-hop culture don't have a problem with promoting thug life, misogyny, and gun violence?  And I know that white rock stars have glorified drug use, but the Rap/Hip-hop industry is the ONLY industry controlled by the black community.  It is a much bigger influence in the black society than rock music is in white culture.  Rap music moguls are seen as the industrial giants in the black community.

I am 100% disagreeing with the assertion that a large portion of black culture glorifies those things.

I am very willing to admit that there are genres of rap that promote crime, misogyny, and violence, but I do not see it as the largest representation or influencer of black culture.

I base this off of my experiences. That includes growing up with black, latino, and asian friends in a very diverse neighborhoods and attending schools that were minority-majority. That also includes now working in the high school I went to that's 33% black, 26% white, 18% Asian, and 17% Latino. We have a large immigrant population too, including students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

My perspective is also influenced by currently living in predominantly Black working to middle class neighborhood where less than 10% of the residents are white. 

I see black culture everywhere I am and in very different contexts. This by no means makes me an expert on it, but I have to reject the gross generalizations being made based on my experiences. I have enough self awareness of my experiences and perspective to know that I cannot make declarative statements about a culture that I am not a part of, but there's no evidence in my experiences and continued experience that would support this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Juneteenth and the lack of black lives in US curricula - BmorePat87 - 06-23-2020, 02:59 PM